Sofia University St. Kliment Ohridski is the first institution of higher education in Bulgaria, established in 1888, as a School of Higher Education. In 1904 a decree by Prince Ferdinand turned it into a university that was given the name of St. Kliment Ohridski.
For more than a century Sofia University has been the national foremost centre for university education and research in both fundamental theoretical and applied areas. Today it is the largest university in the country with 103 degree programmes offered by 16 faculties.
Sofia University comprises: Faculty of Slavic Studies, Faculty of Classical and Modern Philology, Faculty of History, Faculty of Philosophy, Faculty of Law, Faculty of Journalism and Mass Communication, Faculty of Education, Faculty of Preschool and Primary School Education, Faculty of Geology and Geography, Faculty of Physics, Faculty of Mathematics and Informatics, Faculty of Chemistry and Pharmacy, Faculty of Biology, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Faculty of Theology, Faculty of Medicine, Department of Information and In-service Teacher Training, Department of Language Learning and Department of Sport.
Тhe University has since held a leading position among universities in the country, with the highest rate of student and staff mobilities and the most significant contribution to the maintenance of European standards in higher education.